The coughing, the sneezing, the aches and pains – all signs that the cold and flu season is upon us, and the best thing that parents can do for their children is to be prepared.
Today, we feel inspired by Cool Mom Pick’s recent post, “7 children’s cold and flu season must haves,” so we have decided to write our very own post highlighting “cold and flu toolbox” must-haves. The kit should include the following:
- Humidifier: Increasing the humidity in your kids’ rooms during the dry winter season can prevent their nasal passages from becoming too congested. Additional moisture lubricates the sinuses, making it easier for mucus to drain away. Crane’s ultrasonic cool mist humidifier is perfect for kids!
- Oral Rehydration Solution: Parents know that sometimes vomiting and diarrhea accompany the flu and can cause severe dehydration. Dehydration in children is very dangerous and is one of the main reasons children suffering from the flu end up in the Emergency Room. Prevent dehydration and help your kids recover faster from the flu with Drip Drop.
- Saline nasal wash: Nasal irrigation helps push clots of mucus through the nasal cavity, clearing nasal passages for better breathing. This can also help prevent the proliferation of bacteria in the nasal cavities. The Boogie Wipes Boogie Mist is a great, gentle saline mist to add to your kit—it even comes in grape flavor!
- Gentle saline wipes: Regular tissues are great, but Boogie Wipes are even better! These wipes help to dissolve mucus caused by the common cold, flu, and even allergies.
- Essential Oils: Essential oils have been around for a long time to help soothe and comfort those suffering from the cold and flu. Another advantage to using essential oils is that they are all natural and generally safe. We love DoTerra’s Breathe and OnGuard oils. Head on over to I Heart Oils to learn more about them!